For seasoned Christians
'I'm already a Christian! I've believed in God my whole life. What about me?'
Are you a follower of Jesus Christ? Maybe you go to church every Sunday, or perhaps not. You might be heavily involved in the life of your church or perhaps you find that praying on your own or in small groups is closer to your regular experience. You could be Catholic, Anglican, Pentecostal, Congregational, non-denominational, or any of many different types of Christian under the Protestant umbrella.
What is there for you?
Due to the various backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and intentions of those who seek to follow Christ, it is impossible to take a one-size-fits-all approach that can satisfy everybody. However, the resources below have been found to be very helpful for many of our own people who have come into the Orthodox Church from other Christian backgrounds.
- Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy (ISBN 9781944967178) - A superb book by Fr Andrew Stephen Damick, in which he explains in a matter-of-fact but sober and respectful manner what makes the Orthodox Church distinct from other systems of belief.
- The Mystery of Faith (ISBN 9780881413755) - A catechism of the Orthodox Christian faith, by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk. The text of this book may also be read online.
- The Orthodox Church (ISBN 9780140146561) - A more in-depth look at the Church, by Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia, best read after The Orthodox Way.
- Wisdom and Practices of the Ancient Faith (ISBN 9780985907433) - by Fr Alphonse and the late Presbytera Rachel Goetmann of the Bethany Community.
- The Prayer of the Heart (ISBN 9780615986654) - by the same authors as the above.
- The Names of Jesus by Fr Thomas Hopko - an exploration of Christ through the many names by which He has made Himself known to humankind.